Students committee takes over the implementation of MDM scheme
Khagaria is one of the backward districts struggling to improve on many development indicators. Some sorts of irregularities were observed in the implementation of midday meal scheme in the
in the schools of North Thatha village in Mansi Blcok. Students were complaining about the food’s quality and quantity during interaction. Besides, availability of food stock, cleanliness in preparation and other irregularities were debarring children from this scheme as student were not ready to take it. Nav Jagriti also observed the substantial reduction in the attendance over the period of 5-6 months. NJ had conducted the focus group discussion with children and tried to know the reason of low attendance. The picture was clear MDM seems to have a strong impact on retaining students in schools. Thus the project team aims to make school resilient by focusing on DRR, social protection and technology. We made a committee if 12 students and made them responsible for conducting MDM properly and to look after the other issues like drop out. Here are the responsibilities the committee took over
- Proper waste disposal of MDM and other wastages, Maintain the cleanliness and hygiene in the school premises , classrooms , kitchen and playground.
- Maintain peace in the distribution of MDM.
- To ensure the participation of the students into the class.
- To supervise the quality and quantity of MDM.
During follow up Nav Jagriti has noticed the following changes after six months
- The mid day meal is being served with proper hygiene.
- The quality of meal was improved and this follow the everyday diet menu.
- Children maintain the peace, proper queue and waste disposal of MDM wastage.
- Children committee ensure the participations of students in to the class after meal .
- In case of drop out the committee inform the teacher and parents .
Teachers are also supporting the committee and stated very motivational words that participation of the students committee has increased the quality of the meal and it has also ensured the students participation in the classrooms. Overall it has changed the environment of the schools.